1 virtual internships
Interior designers plan the design of living and commercial environments. They then manage the work of turning their ideas into a reality. They need to design a space that is practical for its purpose as well as visually pleasing.
Projects can be broad in scope, ranging from structural alterations to the choice of furnishings, curtains, wallpaper and lighting.
- Estimate material requirements and costs, and present design to client for approval.
- Confer with client to determine factors affecting planning interior environments, such as budget, architectural preferences, and purpose and function.
- Advise client on interior design factors, such as space planning, layout and utilization of furnishings and equipment, and color coordination.
- Select or design, and purchase furnishings, art works, and accessories.
- Formulate environmental plan to be practical, esthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity or selling merchandise.
- Subcontract fabrication, installation, and arrangement of carpeting, fixtures, accessories, draperies, paint and wall coverings, art work, furniture, and related items.
- Render design ideas in form of paste-ups or drawings.
- Plan and design interior environments for boats, planes, buses, trains, and other enclosed spaces.
- Link or chart suspects to criminal organizations or events to determine activities and interrelationships.
Key skills for interior designer:
- Creativity and imagination
- An eye for design, including colour, and good 3D awareness
- Ability to visualise concepts and explain them to others
- Good drawing and IT skills
- Interest in changing trends in design.
Average salary (2013):
The United Kingdom: Junior interior designers can earn from around £18,000 to £22,000 a year. Experienced designers can earn between £24,000 and £40,000 a year, with senior designers earning £45,000 or more a year.
The United States of America: $54,200 per year
Australia: AU$49,971 per year
Qualifications and training required:
Training to become an interior designer takes two to four years and is available from professional design schools or colleges and universities. One can earn an associate degree or certificate by attending a two to three year program, or a bachelor's degree by attending a four year program. Upon graduating with a bachelor's degree, one would most likely begin a one to three year apprenticeship program at a design or architecture firm and work under the supervision of an experienced interior designer. A graduate with a certificate or associate degree would usually start his or her career as an assistant to an interior designer.